Do you offer framing and matting/mounting services for antique maps and prints?
No, we do not provide framing or mounting services. We sell antique maps and prints predominantly online (although if you are in London you are always welcome to arrange a visit), and we recommend that you arrange for your map or print to be framed locally once you have received it. We try to offer maps and prints at reasonable and affordable prices; mounting/matting and framing a map or print prior to shipping adds considerably to the cost of shipping. If you are the UK, we recommend that you use a framer who is a member of the Fine Art Trade Guild. You can locate a local framer here.
Some considerations to bear in mind when framing your old map or print:
- Mats/mounts and frames should be selected to protect as well as to enhance the presentation of the map or print. Paper can be damaged by contact with other materials, by exposure to temperature, humidity and light.
- Always use a hinged, archival quality, acid-free mounting (matting) board to prevent the risk of damage to the paper of your map or print over a long period of time. Similarly, when fixing a map or print to the mount backing board, sparingly use acid-free tape as the glue from standard sticky tape will penetrate and darken the paper over a long period of time. We recommend “filmoplast P”, manufactured by Neschen.
- We would recommend using a professional framer, but if you are feeling creative and dextrous, it is quite possible to cut the mount to size yourself, if you have the right equipment.
- Use glass or plexiglass which reflects ultra-violet light. The use of non-reflective glass can enhance your picture viewing experience considerably.
- When framed, try to position your print or map away from direct sunlight and in a location where it will avoid temperature extremes and exposure to high humidity.
- If buying your item as a gift you may wish to have a certificate of authenticity fixed to the back of the frame. We are always happy to provide such a certificate for any maps or prints purchased from us upon request, and any reputable dealer should offer the same.
- If mounting or framing an item yourself, it can be cheaper to purchase a standard sized frame and have the mount cut to size for your print or map, rather than to have a frame custom made.