Antiqua Print Gallery 1811 Hawksworth Islington map
Enter your email details
view cart
Items: 0 Total: £0.00
currency
US DollarEuroAustralian DollarPound Sterling

CAN WE HELP?

 Phone +44-208-960-3476
 Mobile +44-7973-156514

 Email info@antiquemapsandprints.com

10% off orders of 4 or more items

We will apply a 10% discount when you purchase at least 4 items.

1811 Hawksworth map of the parish of Islington


Orientation

This scarce early map, published in 1811, shows the parish of Islington in 1735. The map is orientated towards the North West. The cluster of buildings at the bottom of the map is the (then) village of Islington. The road running from the bottom of the map towards the top left hand corner of the map is St John Street - Upper Street - Holloway Road - Highgate Hill. At the top left of the map the hamlet of Highgate is shown, along with Upper Holloway and Lower Holloway in the left upper-centre of the map. "Cruch End" (Crouch End) is shown at the top of the map. The two hamlets shown in the lower right hand part of the map are Newington Green and Kingsland. The manor of Highbury is shown slightly to the right and below the centre of the map, with Canonbury house shown to the right of Upper Street. The road running down the left hand side of the map is Dartmouth Park Hill - Brecknock Road - York Way. The current site of Kings Cross station is in the lower left hand corner of the map.

Date of the map

The map was published on May 1, 1811 by Russell of Upper Street Islington - this information is printed below the map. However the map shows a much earlier representation of the parish of Islington being "from a Plan in the Vestry Room drawn in 1735"

Area covered by the map

The map covers the then parish of Islington (broadly the current London Borough of Islington). This area includes Islington, Highbury, Highgate, Upper Holloway, Holloway and Lower Holloway, Crouch End ("Cruch End"), Canonbury ("Canbury"), Barnsbury, Finsbury, Kingsland ("Kings Land"), Finsbury Park, Tufnell Park & Stroud Green. This includes all or part of the modern postal districts N1, N4, N5, N6, N7, N8, N16, N19, EC1, E8.

Places of interest named on the map

Other places of interest shown or named on the map include "The Black Dog" in Highgate, Cream Hall, Mount Pleasant, The Japan House, De Vols House, Tallington (Tollington) House, Long Mead, Wood Field, "Mr Wright's", Spring Garden, Balls Pond, Virginia Houses, Rosemary Branch, Provence Field, Battle Bridge, Copenhagen, Ring Cross, Wells Row, Elder Walk, "The Hedge Row", Pierpoints Row, High Tree Field, Esquire Harveys, Cloth Workers almshouses, Mother Field, Jack Straw's Castle (Jack Straw was a leader of one band of rebels who attacked the Treasurer's House at Highbury on June 14, 1381. The Peasants' Revolt over increasing taxation was largely due to the monarchy's prosectution of war against France. )

Streets named on the map

Some of the roads named on the map still retain the same or a similar name: "The Upper Street" (now Upper Street), Cross Street, Hornsey Lane, St John's Street (now St John Street), Goswell Street (Goswell Road), "King Harry's Walk" (King Henry's Walk), Stroud Green (Stroud Green Road). Many other roads are shown on the map but have since changed their names: "The Lower Street" (Essex Road), "Maid Lane alias Maiden Lane" (Dartmouth Park Hill - Brecknock Road - York Way), Cock Lane (Crossway), Heame Lane (part of Seven Sisters Road), Boarded River Lane (Green Lanes - Mount Grove Road), Tallington Lane (Hornsey Road), Roffs Lane (Tollington Way), Hopping Lane (St Paul's Road), Barrisbury Lane (Laycock street), Hagbush Lane (Sheringham Road), "The Back Road" (Liverpool Road), Batters Lane (Barnsbury Street), Kettle Lane (Islington Park Street), Gads Row (St Alban's Place), Almshouse Lane (Packington Street), River Lane (St Peter's Street), White Conduit Lane (Tolpuddle Street), Frog Lane (Ecclestone Road - Popham Road - Danbury Street), Curriers Lane (Greenman Street).

The map shows roads, footpaths, streams and "The New River", conduits, parish boundaries, milestones (including Whittington's Stone) / landmarks, (assumedly) public houses, the work house, toll gates, brick kilns, and some of the fields which covered most of the area of the map at that time are named, along with "a hedge divides the parishes".

The adjoining parishes of Hornsey, Pancras, Clerkenwell, St Leonard Shoreditch, St Luke Old Street, Hackney & Stoke Newington are marked at the edges of the map.

The scale of the map is marked in furlongs. The area covered by the map is approximately 3 x 4 miles (12 square miles)

Another example of this map is in the British Museum's Crace collection (a zoomable version of the British Museum's version of the map is available at the URL below). We have not been able to find this map for sale elsewhere at the time of listing.
http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex/crace/a/zoomify88273.html

A detail of the map showing Islington Village, Canonbury & Kingsland is shown above. A full resolution image is available upon request.