Antiqua Print Gallery Lillie Bridge Grounds
Enter your email details
view cart
Items: 0 Total: £0.00
currency
US DollarEuroAustralian DollarPound Sterling

CAN WE HELP?

 Phone +44-208-960-3476
 Mobile +44-7973-156514

 Email info@antiquemapsandprints.com

10% off orders of 4 or more items

We will apply a 10% discount when you purchase at least 4 items.

Lillie Bridge Grounds

The Lillie Bridge Grounds was a sports ground in London, England near to present day Stamford Bridge, opened around 1867. The ground started to fall into disuse after the opening of Stamford Bridge and after a riot on September 18, 1887 which destroyed the track and grandstand, finally closed in 1888.
Lillie Bridge, Lillie Road, Fulham, London, SW6 these days are better known as a London Underground (LUL) maintenance depot, and Earls Court 2 part of the world famous Earls Court Exhibition Centre complex has an annexe over railway lines. And is also home to the Empress State Building completed in 1961.
Sports contested at the venue included athletics, bicycle racing, football and cricket. The ground also hosted hot air balloon festivals and county fairs in the Victorian era.

Boxing

The ground held the first ever amateur boxing matches in 1867, cups being supplied by the Marquess of Queensberry, which is where the phrase Queensberry Rules comes from.

Football

The Wanderers, after winning the first FA Cup final in 1872, were allowed to defend the cup in the second final of 1873 with choice of venue. Not having a ground of their own, they chose Lillie Bridge and Oxford University were defeated 2-0. The low 3000 attendance was attributed to the Boat Race occurring later in the same day, so few turned up or in fact stayed for the whole duration of the game.

Cricket

Middlesex County Cricket Club moved to Lillie Bridge in 1869 before leaving in 1872 due to the poor quality of the turf. The club nearly folded at this time, a vote for continuing being won 7-6.

Athletics

Lillie Bridge was the home of the Amateur Athletic Club which organised the Amateur Championships before they were held under the auspices of the Amateur Athletic Association (the Three As). The London Athletics Club moved in in 1869 before leaving for Stamford Bridge in 1877.
From 1867 to 1887, the annual athletics varsity match between Oxford and Cambridge Universities were held here before moving to Queen's Club on the ground's closure.
Many world records were set at Lillie Bridge, including for example, 6' 2.5" in the high jump in 1876 by Marshall Brooks in front of a crowd of 12,000.

(Source Wikipedia)