Antiqua Print Gallery Tianjin Concessions
Enter your email details
view cart
Items: 0 Total: £0.00
currency
US DollarEuroAustralian DollarPound Sterling

CAN WE HELP?

 Phone +44-208-960-3476
 Mobile +44-7973-156514

 Email info@antiquemapsandprints.com

10% off orders of 4 or more items

We will apply a 10% discount when you purchase at least 4 items.

The Concessions in Tianjin were concession territories ceded by the Chinese imperial Qing Dynasty to the European imperial powers in Tianjin (previously romanized in Postal map spelling as Tientsin), China

By the mid-nineteenth century Tianjin was opened up to foreign trade, and the importance of Tianjin was enhanced by the railways connecting it with Beijing on the one hand since 1897, and with Shanhaiguan and Manchuria on the other. As a result, Tianjin soon had a large and flourishing community of European traders, entrepreneurs, diplomats, and merchants residing full time. As attacks on Europeans were frequent, and in order to reduce the possibility of conflict, the Chinese officials ceded certain authorities over the Europeans in a specific area of Tianjin to the diplomatic missions.
The British and French concessions were the earliest to be created in Tianjin; between 1895 and 1900 they were joined by Japan, Germany, Imperial Russia, and by countries without concessions elsewhere in China: Austria-Hungary, Italy and Belgium in establishing self-contained concessions each with their own prisons, schools, barracks and hospitals. The European settlements covered five miles (8 km) in all, the river front being governed by foreign powers.

British concession (1860-1943)

The British concession, in which the trade centres, was situated on the right bank of the river Haihe below the native city, occupying some 200 acres (0.81 km2). It was held on a lease in perpetuity granted by the Chinese government to the British Crown, which sublet plots to private owners in the same way as was done at Hankou. The local management was entrusted to a municipal council organized on lines similar to those which obtain at Shanghai. The seat of government was the stately Gordon Hall, situated on Victoria Road (now Jiefang Lu).

(Source Wikipedia)