Antiqua Print Gallery Lord Gifford
Enter your email details
view cart
Items: 0 Total: £0.00
Australian DollarEuroPound SterlingUS Dollar


 Phone +44-208-960-3476
 Mobile +44-7973-156514


10% off orders of 4 or more items

We will apply a 10% discount when you purchase at least 4 items.

Edric Gifford, 3rd Baron Gifford

Edric Frederick Gifford, 3rd Baron Gifford, VC (5 July 1849 – 5 June 1911) was an English recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces.


In 1874, at the age of 23, Gifford was a Lieutenant in the 2nd Battalion, 24th Foot (later the South Wales Borderers), British Army during the First Ashanti Expedition, when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the Victoria Cross:


During the 1873-74 Ashanti Campaign, Lieutenant Lord Gifford was in charge of Scouts after the army crossed the Prah, and he daily took his life in his hands, performing his dangerous duties. He ferreted out the enemy's intentions, discovered their positions and took numerous prisoners. His courage was particularly conspicuous at the taking of Becquah, Ashanti (now Ghana) into which he penetrated with his scouts before the troops carried it.

Further information

Edric Gifford was born in London on 5 July 1849. His father was Robert Francis Gifford, 2nd Baron Gifford, and his mother was Hon. Swinburne Frederica Charlotte FitzHardinge Berkeley. His brother was Maurice Gifford, CMG, raised "Gifford's Horse" in the Second Matabele War.
He was educated at Harrow, and in 1869 entered the 83rd Foot. On the death of his father in 1872, he became 3rd Baron Gifford.
In 1876, Gifford left the 24th Foot, moving to the 57th Foot. In 1878 he was in Cyprus, and in 1879 he was aide-de-camp to Sir Garnet Wolseley in the Zulu War. Shortly afterwards he retired from the Army as a brevet major.
Gifford married Sophia Catherine Street in April 1880, then went to Western Australia, which was at that time a British colony. He arrived in Western Australia in October 1880 and immediately took up an appointment to the position of Colonial Secretary, and a nomination to the Western Australian Legislative Council. After leaving Western Australia in January 1883 following disputes with the Chief Justice, Sir Henry Wrenfordsley and the Governor Sir William Robinson, Gifford was Colonial Secretary of Gibraltar from 1883 to 1887. In 1889 he became a director of the British South Africa Company.
Edric Gifford died on 5 June 1911 in Chichester, England. He had no children. His nephew John Fitzhardinge Paul Butler also won a Victoria Cross.

(Source Wikipedia)