The Antiquities of Westminster

John Thomas Smith’s richly illustrated The Antiquities of Westminster, published on June 9, 1807, is the most complete surviving record of the medieval architecture of the old Palace of Westminster complex including St Stephen’s Chapel, much of which was later lost to fire and subsequent redevelopment. The project began in August 1800, when Smith learned that fragments of medieval sculpture and stained glass were being uncovered during alterations to  accommodate extra MPs resulting from the Act of Union with Ireland. Granted early-morning access to sketch before demolition resumed each day, Smith documented the remains under tight constraints, producing over 120 plates drawn largely on site. Edited by J.S. Hawkins and printed by T. Bensley, the book was delayed by editorial disputes but finally appeared with an impressive list of subscribers, headed by the King. A supplement followed, and a revised edition with additional material was issued in 1837, prompted by nostalgia for structures lost in the 1834 fire. Smith’s work remains a vital visual record of London's medieval architecture and streetscape.

Showing 122 of 122 products